My Boring Afternoon
A friend invited me to go with him to a Malayalam movie. Always up for adventures, both big and small, I told him I’d take Thursday afternoon off and we would go. We took a bus to Ernakulam, found a little restaurant serving chicken biriyani for lunch, and then went to the 3:00 show of “Rasathanthram.” Don’t worry, I can’t say it either.
And I have no idea what it means or what it was about. I spent the majority of the three-hour movie biting my nails down to nothing and thinking about what I would treat myself for lunch to the following day.
Since I can’t speak enough of the language (ok, so I can’t speak any, but that’s neither here nor there) to understand the dialogue, the picture on the screen is what must engage me. That’s the only way I can get anything out of the movie – in terms of understanding and entertainment. Well, I don’t want to make a fuss about it, but I got nothing at all out of this one.
There was a young girl who pretended to be a boy for a while in order to get out of an abusive situation in her house, but I don’t know what ended up happening…oh, wait, yes I do. She got married. In the end, she turned back into a girl and got married, but I could have told you that ending even if I hadn’t watched the film.
After three long hours, we finally emerged from the theater. My friend had really enjoyed the movie, and I didn’t want to hurt his feelings by telling him I’d enjoyed lunch more!
So, that was the way I spent my Thursday afternoon – well-fed and well-taken care of, but bored out of my mind! Still, who can complain? It wasn't anymore boring than sitting at home would have been, plus there was a really good lunch (free for me!) thrown into the bargain.

<< Home