From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Don’t Play with your Money in the Back of a Moving Rickshaw

Ok, so I wasn’t exactly playing with my money in the back of a moving rickshaw at all. I was simply trying to sort it out so I could find the correct size rupee note to give to the driver.

I usually keep my money pretty organized, but somehow the little purse that I keep all my rupees in had become a big mess of different coins and bills. In that mess, I had to come up with 50 rupees exactly, because the rickshaw drivers are known for saying they have no change whether they do or not. I knew I had a 50-rupee note, and I was looking for it in the midst of several 100-rupee notes.

And I guess I wasn’t holding on to those 100-rupee notes tightly enough because one of them flew right out the window. I tried to grab it, but I realized just in time that, if I opened my hand to catch that 100-rupee note, the others would fly out. So, I had to let that 100-rupee note go.

It’s not a big deal; it’s barely two American dollars. I hope someone who needs it a lot more than I do found it tumbling through the streets of Aluva. Still, from now on, I won’t play with my money in the back of a moving rickshaw.