Home, Sweet Home
After three weeks of long, hot, barely-bearable train rides, broken up by some wonderful sight-seeing that made those train rides worth it, I have stepped down from the train for the last time – at least for a few weeks, anyway.
Despite a few small bouts of sickness (that “Delhi Belly” thing is real), much lack of sleep (because you just can’t get comfortable on those train “beds”), and temperatures that reached as high as 110 degrees (I’m not exaggerating), our trip throughout India was fantastic. Three weeks seemed like a long time at first, but with so much ground to cover, the time went very quickly. And we moved quickly along with it.
In those three weeks, we saw India’s crowded capital city, Delhi; Haridwar, pilgrimage point of the Ganges; the hill station of Shimla at the foot of the Himalayas; Jaipur, the “Pink City” in the desert state of Rajasthan; the resort paradise of Goa; and, of course, the incredible Taj Mahal. Now that I’m off the train and the holiday is over, I have a feeling that I dreamt it all. My proof, however, are the masses of souvenirs that I have yet to put away and the many pictures that I took and have, as efficiently as ever, already posted online for you to enjoy.
Everything you will ever want to know about my adventures around India will be written in my May newsletter, which will be out within the week. For now, know that I am safe and sound back in Aluva, where the rickshaw drivers know where I want to go without my having to tell them.
It’s always hard to let a vacation come to an end, but it’s also a really wonderful feeling to finally get home. And I feel that tonight – wonderful to be home.
If only someone would offer to unpack for me…

<< Home