From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It’s 71 Degrees in Here!

This week, we have traveled to Ooti to attend a conference with Achen. Ooti is a hill station in the neighboring state of Tamil Nadu, and we’ve been excited for this event because “hill station” really means “better climate”.

Since arriving here, we have not been disappointed. The sun’s strong rays still make for days that are quite warm, but the air is dry and the breeze is cool, making the warmth truly pleasant. Then, as the day wears on and the sun begins to set behind the hills, we find it necessary to pull out our sweatshirts, unroll the cuffs of our jeans, and even don our socks. It gets cold, but it feels oh-so-good – at least most of the time…

This morning, although I was wearing long flannel pants, thick knee socks, and a sweatshirt with the hood up, I could not bring myself to come out from under my covers – two heavy woolen blankets in which I had wrapped myself up all cozy and warm. I looked over at Becca, who was sharing the room with me, and said, “I’m too cold to get out of bed.” She agreed, but managed to free one of her arms to grab her alarm clock. I thought she was going to turn it off and let us sleep through the morning, but instead, she simply looked at it and set it back down. Then she sighed and said, “Char, according to my clock, it’s 71 degrees in here.”

“Really?” I replied. “But I’m still soooooooo cold.”