From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Monday, June 19, 2006

The English Man and the Token White Girl

There have been a few times throughout the year when I have not been the only white person on the college campus (or anywhere around it, for that matter). Today was one of those lucky days!

Dr. Keith Paterson was visiting from Liverpool Hope University in England. This unversity does not have a linkage with UCC, but Dr. Paterson and UCC's principal are trying to establish that linkage, thus the meeting today. The principal invited me to their meeting, which was a very informal affair (people in and out, several different phones ringing, the white girl sitting there munching on the cashews, etc.) in his office. The two men, along with the college chaplain and the manager, discussed the workings of the two different institutions. Every once in a while, when there was a break in the conversation, Dr. Paterson asked me a question or two. But mostly I just sat there being ignored.

As I munched on those cashews (out of boredom and not hunger), I had to wonder why I was there. And then, of course, I remembered: I'm the token white girl. I mean, how could I forget?

At least it's a job that comes with free food, though. And it didn't end at cashews. After the principal showed Dr. Paterson around the UCC campus (the token white girl following behind like a lost little puppy - a hungry one), we were served a three-course lunch.

Ya know, sometimes I forget myself and get really irritated with this "token white girl" business. I want to be Charlotte, not just the white girl on campus this year. Then again, if I were simply Charlotte, I might not get all the perks. I man, if being the token white girl means getting fed this well, I think I can handle the job.