Shopping the American Way
“Hi! How are you today?” (enthusiastic)
“Fine, thanks.” (polite, but tired)
“Is there anything I can help you with this morning?” (perhaps overly enthusiastic)
“Uhh…yeah…tell me why you’re being so nice to me.” (confused and perhaps a little frightened)
Customer service isn’t quite the same in India as it is here at home, and it really did surprise me the first time I went out shopping. I had gone into Old Navy (my old favorite) to find a shirt to match a skirt that I’d bought in India. I showed the sales associate the skirt and the colors in it I thought would look best, and she took me all over the store trying to find me the perfect match. I followed her, holding my skirt out but saying nothing, too overwhelmed by her enthusiasm to be able to speak.
When I got back home, my mother asked me how it went. Still in a bit of a state of shock, I said, “Well, no luck with the shirt, but the girl at Old Navy was really nice to me.”
Not that the girls in the shops in India aren’t. But the shopping experience is completely different there. It was almost always overwhelming, and I dreaded most shopping trips. Back at home, it’s still overwhelming, but I’m actually really looking forward to my next run-in with a nice, enthusiastic (English-speaking) sales associate.

<< Home