The English Church Service
Today was my first Sunday back in the USA, and I thought the most appropriate thing to do would be to go to church. I was greeted with warm welcomes and big hugs, and I felt at home right away. But as I got comfortable in my pew and prepared myself for worship, I had a bit of a shock. I opened up my bulletin to see what was going on in there, and, to my utter surprise, it was written entirely in English. There were no words I didn't know. There were no letters I couldn't read. And I could not believe my good luck.
Hoping I was on a streak, I opened up the green hymnal. I flipped through the liturgies and the songs, and, shock of all shocks, I saw nothing but English. Now with confidence, I opened up the blue hymnal. English, English, one or two things in Spanish (but at least we're talking about the same letters there), and more English. I turned to my mother, and, in complete seriousness, said, "Mom, look, I can read this."
And as if these English surprises weren't enough to spoil me, just at that moment, the service started. And, I bet you can guess what I'm going to say - the preacher preached in English. He did everything in English - announcements, prayers, Bible readings, blessings. It went on and on and on, and I was so awed by it all that, despite my understanding of the language, I have no idea what the preacher said. I just know he said it in English. And that was enough.
Church was one of the most difficult adjustments in India. I hated not being able to follow the service, not being able to sing the songs, not being able to understand the sermon. Now I'll be able to do all those things, and I look forward to worship like never before.
I will, however, have to break my daydreaming habit. It was the only way I could get through the two-hour Malayalam church services, but I don't have an excuse here in this country. And I definitely don't have an excuse there at my dad's church. I mean, he could quiz me when we get home.

<< Home