A Night with the In-Laws
My friend, Silmony, who is the warden (like an RA, but not a student) at one of the women's hostels here, got married in March. It is typical for married women to move into the home of their husband and his parents. And, although her husband, Joby, is abroad working, that is what Silmony did.
She invited me to go "home" with her for a night, and I was more than happy to go. Not only did it mean one more new experience to add to my big list of them, but it also meant a couple of home-cooked meals, which are the best kind here in Kerala.
We spent two and a half hours on a bus and arrived at Silmony's in-laws' home around tea time. Her mother-in-law, who is now just "amma" (mother), served me tea and sweets and got on my good side right away! And, as I waited for dinner, which wasn't served until 10, I was glad she had force-fed me so many, like all Indian women would have done.
Dinner was simple (rice and a couple curries), but incredibly good, as was breakfast the next morning (dosa, which is kind of like a pancake, and curry). Silmony and I both had to be back to Aluva fairly early, so, just after pushing my plate back to indicate that I was finished (although amma continued trying to feed me), we started getting ready to leave.
As I said goodbye, I tried to show with my smile (because Silmony's in-laws do not speak any English) how glad I was to have gotten to spend this time with them. And I think the way amma held onto my hand and beamed back at me was her way of saying she was just as glad to have had me.

<< Home