From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Who Are You, and What Have You Done with My Squatter?

As you must know by now, some of my biggest challenges in this country have had to do with saris and squatters. Well, it’s easy enough to find help with the saris, but, unless Jenika happens to be around, I have to do squatters on my own. And Jenika, unfortunately, is never with me at the college, where I have no choice but to squat.

I try to avoid using the squatter that is in the bathroom just behind my office. It’s not hard to avoid because my Western toilet is only a five-minute walk away (and, yes, although I hate to admit it, I have gone home just to use the Western toilet). But, last week, I thought I’d just give the squatter another try. I had been improving on my squatter skills, after all, and I had to go too bad to walk home.

So back to the squatter I went, only to find that the squatter is missing! I could not believe my eyes, but where that squatter used to be, there now stands a Western toilet. I had to wonder: “Did someone read my blogs and do this for me?” Maybe they’ll also read this one and supply that new Western bathroom with some toilet paper too. Haha!