From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Meet Charlotte, the Cook

When I learned I would be spending my year of mission service in India, I thought it would present me with the perfect opportunity to learn how to cook some good, exotic dishes. I've always joked that the only things I "cook" are peanut butter and jelly and lean pockets (in the microwave, of course), but I've always known, deep down, that if I just took some time to learn how to operate in the kitchen, I could make a mighty fine chef. And what better place to do that than India?

But, living in a community where the food is made in bulk each day for nearly 100 people, I actually have not had the opportunity to learn anything at all about cooking Indian dishes...until now!!!

Jenika (my squatter buddy, remember - but don't worry, we washed our hands really well) has a neighbor who has graciously taken it upon herself to teach us how to cook Indian style. And yesterday, we had our first lesson. We made fried rice and a curry of soy, and it was TO DIE FOR!!! I ate so much I thought I would bust open - and this from a girl who has never really been big on fried rice OR soy. Haha! It was delicious and not so tough (or full of exotic ingredients) that I won't be able to recreate it in my own kitchen at home.

Anyway, we're going to continue our cooking lessons after the holidays have passed, and, if my first try was such a great success, I can't even imagine what wonderful concoctions I'll be able to whip up when I've had many more months of practice!

So, who wants to come over for dinner sometime?