The Sari Saga Continues…
Well, it was about to be another Sunday, and I thought it would be the perfect time to try my luck with wearing a sari again. After my last traumatic episode, I decided I would go into Aluva-town to buy a few more saris, and on Saturday night I asked my Malayalam teacher if we could take a short break from practicing the art of writing the Malayalam alphabet and spend some time practicing the art of wearing a sari. She kindly obliged, and after I had modeled my “practice sari” for everyone in the mess hall during Saturday night’s dinner, I felt a brand new confidence.
On Sunday morning, I got up a little bit earlier than normal in anticipation of the big event. I’m glad I did because it took me a full half hour (I am not exaggerating) to get dressed. I tried to do what Sheela had shown me the night before, and after all that time, a few choice words that don’t need repeating, and, in my better judgment, a few small pleas sent up to heaven, I got the massive piece of material around my body and fastened into place. I knew it wasn’t perfect, but I have to say it looked much better than the last time I tried to do it myself.
I arrived at breakfast to several “Ooooh”s and “Ahhhh”s and even a “You look beautiful!” And I thought that maybe, just maybe, I had gotten it right. At least I made it through the entire meal without anyone telling me any different. But…
Just as I was getting up to rush off to church (always late), one of the kitchen servants came over to me and said, “No, no, no! Come! This room, here!” It was a complete flashback; only this time I did a much better job of keeping my cool (because, well, I really had expected this). So, as I stood in the pantry, checking my watch every few seconds, this dear servant completely unwrapped me. As she put me back together, she tried to give me a crash course in sari-wearing. “See this? Here. Ok? See this one? Here. Ok? And this one, here. Ok?”
“Ok, ok,” I kept repeating. “I see.” And I do see. I understand what I’m supposed to do. I’ve had enough lessons now to understand how it works, and it all seems rather simple when I see one of these expert women do it for me. I just can’t seem to get it right when I try it out myself.
Still, this was only my second try. Now I don’t see myself catching on right away, so the sari saga will continue…

<< Home