College Life
Well, I have finally begun my volunteer work at Union Christian College. On Thursday, I met with the college principal (this is the same as a college president in the States), and he outlined for me my main responsibilities for the coming year. It feels wonderful to finally have an idea of how I will be spending my time. I haven't fallen into a daily routine quite yet, but that will come shortly.
Here are the major projects I will work on during my service at UCC:
1. Assist in the creation of a database of UCC alumni, focusing specifically on those who have relocated to the States.
2. Help to update the college web site, working with a team of about four professors.
3. Work with a team of journalism students to develop the annual UCC newsletter, which comes out in November.
4. Work with the same team of journalism students to develop more regular newsletters, perhaps one per quarter.
5. Start an international club.
6. Help students with their conversational English.
7. Do odd jobs for the principal (for example: summarize articles he's received but doesn't have time to read in entirety).
There are many responsibilities, but I am not completing any of this work by myself. I have a strong support system at the college, including the college principal, the college manager, and many professors. And it's work that I am sure to enjoy. I told my superiors that these jobs would be "right up my alley." They looked at me in confusion...
I have to be careful in my choice of idioms!

<< Home