I Want Idli
Wednesday and Thursday mornings are always the easiest ones to get out of bed. It’s as simple as the fact that those are the mornings when my favorite breakfasts are served. I like most of the breakfasts Chacko Homes serves throughout the week, but on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I wake up hungriest and happiest. And sometimes, I eat such big breakfasts these days that I don’t have to bother with lunch. That was my plan on this particular Wednesday morning – to enjoy my breakfast so much that I couldn’t possibly enjoy lunch!
But I was disappointed. This morning, instead of idli (a soft, saucer-shaped bread), we had dosa (a crepe-like bread). Now, I have nothing against dosa, except that it’s not idli. And I expect dosa on Fridays, not on Wednesdays – one more piece of proof that, even when you know what to expect, you can never know what to expect.
Now, dosa is served with the same things that idli is served with – sambar (a sort of vegetable stew) and coconut chutney. But the sambar and chutney just don’t do anything for me when I’m dipping dosa in them. I wanted idli!
But idli I could not get. So, I ate my dosa, and then, a few hours later, I ate my lunch.

<< Home