From August 2005 to August 2006, I lived in India. This was a year full of challenges, humor, and growth, all documented here.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Personal Pineapples: The Best Thing Since...Sliced Bread?

I love pineapple and have always loved pineapple. In the U.S., I tend to eat it out of a can, and fresh pineapple is quite a treat. In India, however, fresh pineapple is as common as dust in the road, and it’s really cheap, too! (I pay about 10 rupees – or a solid 20 cents – for a pineapple that weighs one kilogram.)

The problem, however, is that I can’t eat an entire kilogram of pineapple at one time, and, as I have no refrigerator, it’s difficult to keep any leftovers. This was bothering me until a few days ago, when I realized that India has already solved this little problem of mine with “personal pineapples.”

I went to purchase a pineapple that day, thinking that whatever I didn’t eat I could share with the man who lives next door, who is always up for a visit and a treat. But when I got to the little fruit and vegetable stand, I saw that I would not actually be able to share. The pineapples were so small! I mean, they weren’t bite-size or anything, but they were small enough for one person to eat in one sitting. I was thrilled.

Of course, I’ll still buy a one-kilogram pineapple every now and then so that I can share it with the man who lives next door. But I’m so enthralled with these little “personal pineapples” that it may be a while before he gets a treat. Shhh…ignorance is bliss!