Aluva, Kerala, India
Dear Friends,
I am writing to you from Aluva, Kerala, India. How can I describe this place to you? It is very, very hot and even more humid. In fact, the air is so heavy, you can almost hold it in your hand. But inside the house, under ceiling fans, the air is pleasant.
This is a beautiful place. Everywhere there are palm trees and colors of all shades. There are always birds and insects creating music outside. It rains every day, but it is not a dark, stormy rain. Rather, the sun often remains out, the world bright, while water falls from the heavens.
The six volunteers are spending the first week at Thomas John's house. He is our site coordinator, and we have come to know him as Achen, which means Pastor. His wife, Betty, cooks wonderful meals for us, and his son, Binu, is helping us to adapt to the culture.
We are having a wonderful time here. We are beginning to learn the language, which is called Malayalam. It has a different alphabet, and it is proving to be quite difficult for all of the volunteers. We also have daily Bible studies, and we sing together a lot. I brought along my clarinet, Heather plays piano, and Binu plays guitar. The others sing, and we make beautiful noise.
I do have moments of homesickness. Who wouldn't halfway around the world? But, above all, I am happy here. I wake up each morning in awe of the fact that I have just woken up in India. I am amazed at this place, fascinated with the things I have seen. I feel very at home in Achen's house, and although I am still getting used to this new place - and will be for some time - I feel a sense of security here. I can only explain it as the presence of God. I know I am not here alone, because He is with me.

<< Home